This page continues from here, “The Biggest Muscle Building Hack!”
What is not important for building muscle?
I could write an entire page on this subject!
For the sake of brevity, I’ll keep it short and list them.
- Muscle Confusion (changing your program all the time – this will actually get you less optimal results)
- Drop sets
- Feeling your muscles burning
- How sore you are the next day
- The length of time your workout takes
- The anabolic window (eating in some magical time frame before or after your workout)
Basically, anything that is NOT on the next list is NOT important for building muscle:
- Progressively getting stronger and lifting more weight over time
- Being in a calorie surplus (small surplus to reduce fat gains)
- Getting enough protein
- Getting enough sleep
- Exercise selection/program (e.g. compound and bodyweight focus, some isolation)
- Time (years of training)
- Consistency (showing up day after day, week after week and not skipping workouts or going on long hiatuses
- Testosterone levels. If you have low testosterone, you will struggle to build muscle. Don’t assume this is you if you’re struggling to build muscle. Make sure you’re doing all of the above right too.
Hit all of those points and you will build muscle.